There are many complications that women and the baby suffer from during pregnancy. A birth injury is also a complication related to pregnancy.
Birth injury refers to a different type of injury or harm to the baby that happens near delivery or on delivery. There are several types of injuries that your baby may face. Among those, oxygen deprivation, contracting the infection, birth trauma, etc., are common ones.
The injuries may vary from minor to major ones. Minor injuries can be recovered soon. But the newborns may suffer a lot from major injuries. Most of the time, those major birth injuries cause permanent disability of the newborn.
Your child may have a permanent disability if not taken care of properly. These disabilities can be both emotional and physical.
These complications can easily be prevented if your doctor takes proper care of your health during pregnancy. Moreover, it can also positively affect your health. You may contact our team to help you out in such situations.
Birth Injury Signs
Every complication occurs with some signs and symptoms. The same is for birth injuries. There are many signs and symptoms that you may see after having a birth injury.
You will see the following signs in the baby right after the delivery:
- The skin color of the baby having a birth injury is usually pale or blue.
- The heart rate of the baby is slow.
- The breathing of the baby is relatively slow, and your baby may require resuscitation.
- You will notice that your baby is sluggish or inactive.
- You will also notice that baby is either hypertonic or hypotonic.
- Another sign is that baby will feel difficulty in feeding or may not drink milk properly.
- You will notice the odd movements in the body parts, which will clearly show if your baby is having seizures.
- The baby will be senseless, and even your baby will fail in responding to loud noises or any touch.
- The blood sample will contain metabolic.
- Your baby will go into the coma stage or does not respond to anything.
- There will be problems in the organs of the baby too.
Things to know:
But sometimes, there are a few cases in which no one can recognize the birth injury at the initial stages. But years after, the birth injury symptoms will appear. Or even after a few months, you will notice that your baby is not starting the development process. There are some other disabilities that everyone around the child will start noticing. Or the people who interact with the baby start noticing such things:
- Your baby will have learning disabilities.
- You will notice the behavioral problems in your baby.
- If your baby has speech-language disorders, it can be a reason for birth injury.
- Your child may have seizure attacks.
- Cerebral palsy is also one of the signs.
- Motor impairments are also the leading cause of birth injury.
- Your baby may also suffer from sensory processing disorders or vision or hearing impairments.
As most of you may know that oxygen deprivation can be the biggest cause of birth injury. The oxygen deprivation that occurs around the birth time is called Birth asphyxia. Similarly, when your infant has insufficient oxygen and blood flow to the brain, it causes hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). It is basically brain damage.
If your baby is having hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), it will cause damage other organs, too, because it causes cell death. But you need not worry about it because it is preventable. Even if your baby is at the initial stage, it can be minimized right after birth. So you do not have to panic.
There can be several reasons behind HIE; below are the few that you must know:
- You may face uterine rupture, and it is a situation where the uterus tears and causes hemorrhage.
- Another reason can be the separation of the placenta from the uterine wall just before the delivery. It is called placental abruption.
Traumatic birth injury
The birth injury caused by trauma is called traumatic birth injury. It happens due to many reasons. But the main reasons are the forces on the baby. They may include pressure or torsion. These traumatic birth injuries are the leading cause of HIE and cerebral palsy.
Do not worry about it because it can be prevented and treated easily. All you need are experienced medical professionals that help you throughout.
There is a number of reasons that cause traumatic birth. Below are some of them that are verified by the doctors and medical experts.
- The improper use of forceps or the vacuum can put pressure on the baby. This may cause HIE, collapsing of blood vessels, and pressure on the skull.
- If there is a breech presentation or fetal presentation is abnormal, it may cause great complications. Usually, the trauma occurs on the head or neck of the baby.
- Size mismatch can be another complication, where the baby gets stuck in the birth canal. This happens mostly when the baby is having macrosomia and is larger or heavier than the average weight. You may read our article about fetal macrosomia too.
- Suppose your baby moves slowly or is stuck in the canal; you will have prolonged labor as a result. Such situations cause stress on the baby, and as a result, the baby will undergo trauma. The prolonged or arrested labors are the times when you are having a baby still in the womb, even when your due date passes.
Birth injury and prematurity
Premature babies are the ones who are not fully developed. These organs, like lungs, brains, etc., are in the process of developing. That means they have premature organs. As a result, these babies may have birth injury complications more than other fully mature babies.
Premature babies suffer from breathing issues, and they are shifted to NICUs. There is a glass breathing machine that has adequate temperature and helps in artificial breathing. These breathing machines are properly checked and managed by experts. If not checked properly, they can drive down the CO2 levels in the blood of the baby. It can become a life-taking issue.
As a result, your baby may lose the tissues or have severe brain damage. The major complication that may occur is PVL that is periventricular leukomalacia. The PVL can be a major cause of seizures, attacks, and other complications in your baby. So, you have to be careful.
Improper parental care and birth injury
Parental care is an essential thing when it comes to newborn health. Parents should give ultrasounds and perform different tests. Parents must be thought of all essential measures that they must take to give a better healthy life for their child.
The practitioners must check for the risk factors that can be due to the test reports and discuss things like umbilical cord problems, fetal growth issues, and birth injuries, etc., openly.
The doctors must tell the parents about different risks and solutions to the problems.
The infections may also be a major cause of birth injury. When a baby is about to deliver, it has direct contact with the mother’s organs. It means viruses and bacteria can easily infect that baby.
Several bacteria and viruses are harmless to the baby, but few can be really harmful. You have to take care of it. For this purpose, medical experts perform different tests detecting the infections that the mother have or mother may catch that will harm the baby.
The doctors check These infections properly. After this, doctors give the antibiotics to avoid the baby’s risk of viral or bacterial attack. But if they are not considered important, it may cause severe problems. These problems can lead to infections in the baby. Your baby may get a severe lung infection. Moreover, your baby may suffer from spinal cord infections and many more.
The situations and complications that can cause or increase the risk of further complications:
This section will tell you what complications can occur if not anything suitable is provided in the delivery room. Below are a few things:
- The first thing is the delayed delivery. Delayed delivery causes many complications, and birth injury is one of them. In such a situation, the medical staff waits too long to deliver or induce a baby. Ensure that the medical staff you are choosing is well and knows everything about delivering a baby. To avoid any complications, on-time delivery is necessary. Sometimes doctors do urgent delivery of the baby to avoid complications during the delivery. Doctors deliver premature babies through the C section to avoid complications.
- Improper fetal monitoring may be the biggest reason for birth injury. Your baby must be monitored properly when you are pregnant. But when it is time to deliver the baby, continuous monitoring becomes essential. You must make sure that if the medical staff around you is monitoring the baby when you are about to deliver the baby or not. Moreover, your baby still needs monitoring for at least 6 hours after delivery. But if you are more worried, you can go for a 24-hour examination option.
- If health practitioners give you improper anesthesia, it may cause birth injury too. There are many ways to get anesthesia. But most of the women choose epidural. Here, you have to carry in mind that epidural anesthesia also has some risks. Suppose the medical team does not give you proper epidural anesthesia, which can cause severe complications. The major thing is that it can it=nterupt in the second stage of labor. And as a result, the blood flow to the baby will be interrupted.
- Many drugs can harm you and your health status. This can cause a major risk when you get anesthesia because you will not get a 100% result of anesthesia. So you must be careful. You must quit getting drugs if you are not pregnant yet. It will help you a lot in the future to have a healthy pregnancy.
The birth injury can be severe and can be much complicated than you think. Birth injuries can cause damage forever. Several therapies only help in the reduction of brain damage.
You will need a lot of help and support from the medical caretakers. In such cases, hypothermia therapy is the best therapy so far. It reduces the risks of more brain damage and helps in decreasing the severity. Moreover, it reduces the severity of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Your baby needs hypothermia in the first six hours right after the delivery.
Suppose your baby gets birth injuries. You must make sure that your baby is getting the proper treatment and care from the medical experts. Moreover, ask your doctor to help you get fewer risks of a baby having seizure attacks, etc.
There are special programs; EI means early intervention. Where you admit the baby with birth injuries. Here your baby undergoes different therapies that help to recover soon.
Birth Injury And your Health
The baby and mother are both are at risk when the mother is pregnant or when she is about to deliver a baby. The first 24 hours after delivery are also crucial, which causes a great impact on the health of the baby. As a mother, you should be careful. There are many complications that your baby may face. A birth injury is one of them. It is a severe complication in babies. In these situations, your baby gets severe problems with the brain, etc. It may cause epilepsy, seizures, etc., in the baby. Moreover, it happens as a result of some slight mistakes, usually. The carelessness of medical staff is one of them. Your medical staff must be an expert. Late delivery is also the main cause. The pressure on the baby can cause birth injury. So, it would be best if you took care.
If you need any help, you may contact us. We will feel great to help you. Moreover, comment down your queries. We will answer all of them.